21 March 2015

Wayne Theibaud cakes

I love this project for many reasons. It promotes observational drawing, it develops the skills to create tones and the kids get so excited to draw their favourite dessert!

I did this with Grade 3 but it can easily be adapted for any grade level.

Materials required:
- A3 black cardstock
- handouts for students showing a variety of cupcakes, pies, ice creams, etc.
- oil pastels
- pencils & erasers

Duration: 1 lesson of 80 minutes

1. The learning objective for this lesson was to become familiar with the works of artist Wayne Theibaud, to identify highlights and shadows and eventually to realistically draw any dessert showing highlights and shadows.
2. I started off the lesson with a short video about the artist. While watching the video, I asked students to look for the answers to two questions:
- What did he paint?
- Why were his paintings famous?
The students were absolutely amazed at how his application of thick oil paints mimicked the actual frosting of a cake.
3. Then I showed them more images of his work, asking them to figure out what else made his paintings look realistic. This made them recognize the use of tones to create highlights and shadows.
4. For my demonstration, I showed students how to draw a cake/cupcake, creating tones of light and dark colours with oil pastel, blending and layering two tones together & choosing the appropriate colours for highlights and shadows.
5. The students began by selecting either a cake, cupcake, pie or ice cream which they enjoyed and then followed my demonstration. I gave a step-by-step drawing guide for my low ability students to use and a variety of cake designs to extend the high ability students.
Left: Handout for low ability students
Right: Handout for high ability students

6. Here are some of the works in progress:
Don't the finished pieces look gorgeous?

No comments:

Post a Comment