7 March 2015

Kandinsky inspired abstract art

During our unit on printmaking, my kindergarten students learned to do a simple print using found objects. Here is the image that inspired me. Since they had done another Kandinsky project with me before, they already had an idea about the artist and his work.

Materials required:
- found objects such as plastic forks, rulers, sponges. Basically anything that can be dipped in paint to create marks
- black paint
- markers
- A4 paper
 
Duration: 2 lessons of 40 minutes each

1. I started of by recapping the work of Kandinsky laying special emphasis on his abstract paintings and getting the students to understand the meaning of abstract as well as the components of abstract art such as line, shape and colour.
2. We identified the different lines and shapes found in his work for example, wavy lines, straight lines, semi-circles, triangles, etc.
3. Next I gave them a demonstration. I took a fork, dipped it in paint and on a piece of white A4 paper, I started to make a variety of lines such as broken, diagonal, wavy. You get the picture, right?
4. I made sure to mention to the kids that they were free to experiment with as many found objects as they could to create different types of lines, marks and shapes. Then left it to dry on the racks and this was the end of the first lesson.
5. In the next lesson, we named all the shapes we could find in Kandinsky's work and brainstormed some more shapes of out own. I gave out their work and students used markers to colour in the spaces between the lines or simply draw new shapes. All done!







No comments:

Post a Comment