7 March 2015

Kandinsky Circles

If you are in search of a quick, easy, no mess project then this is it! Kinders were learning about shapes and so I decided to do a project inspired by Kandinsky's concentric circles, but with a slight twist! 

This is another popular topic for art teachers and there are many different variations to it. I hope my version adds to the collection of ideas.

Materials required:
- markers
- square paper. I was able to cut two squares from an A4 sheet
- black markers
- rulers, pencils, erasers

Duration: 1 lesson of 40 minutes

1. After talking about the artist and showing examples of this work, we talked in great detail about his concentric circles painting in terms of colour, shape and size. I explained to the students that they would each design their own square and later, I would put them all together to create one big piece of art.
2. I gave out the square sheets of paper and had the students fold it into half, and half again. With a ruler and pencil, they traced over the folded lines.
3. Now, instead of drawing a large circle and smaller circles with it, I had the students think of another shape such as a diamond, square, triangle, heart, etc. and draw concentric versions of that instead.
4. Students coloured in with markers and I encouraged them to use bright, vibrant colours. I had to demonstrate this on the board as some students ended up making "mistakes". Oh well, it all looks great in the end!
5. Outline with a black marker.
Finished piece by one student
All of them put together
Let me know how yours turned out!

No comments:

Post a Comment